If you look in the mirror and see white spots on your teeth, you might not be too proud of your smile. Usually, people want to brighten their teeth because they’re too dull, but there are some patients who may experience the opposite effect where their teeth are actually unevenly white. This can still negatively affect how you feel about yourself and what your teeth have to offer.
Thankfully, your cosmetic dentist in Orlando is here to help you achieve your smile goals with a variety of cosmetic options. Continue reading to learn more.
WHY DO I HAVE WHITE SPOTS ON MY TEETH?
- Fluorosis—One cause for those pesky white spots is fluorosis, which is what happens to our adult teeth when we get too much fluoride before they finish developing under our gums. This happens if you were overexposed to fluoride as a child.
- Enamel Hypoplasia—You have thinner tooth enamel than the average layer. Because these pits are porous this leaves teeth vulnerable to stains and tooth decay. There are a variety of causes, but only a few effective ways to cover them—which we will get into in a second.
- Demineralization—This happens when plaque isn’t effective, and consistently cleaned away. Basically, the minerals on the surface of your teeth are being eaten away from the buildup of tartar.
- Braces—Having braces can make it more difficult to clean the surfaces of your teeth, especially around those brackets and wires. The same demineralization that we discussed earlier can lead to your smile’s demise when you finally have your braces removed. You’ll see whiter areas of the smile and spots on your teeth from where the plaque and tartar have been built up.
SO, HOW CAN A COSMETIC DENTIST HELP?
Preventing white spots is always the best way to go, but if you already have them, there are a few ways that your dentist can work with you to improve the aesthetics of your smile.
- Professional teeth whitening is one way of giving your teeth the balanced look that you truly want. While there are over-the-counter bleaching kits, bleaching with a dentist in Orlando is much more safe, effective, and can even save you time and money.
- Porcelain veneers are a good option when your white spots haven’t been able to be removed from even professional teeth whitening, which isn’t totally uncommon. White spots are much harder to blend into the smile rather than just covering them with veneers. So, many patients prefer this method to give them their dream smiles.
- Cosmetic bonding works really well when we need to cover a small area of white spots or stains. Rather than having to pay for a full row of veneers, simply ask your dentist about how a simple cosmetic bonding treatment can be completed to cover the most undesirable areas of your smile.
Are you ready to explore what your cosmetic dentist can do for you and your smile? Schedule your cosmetic consultation today!
ABOUT OUR OFFICE
Here at Sand Lake Dental, we know that every smile is different. Also, every insecurity or dental problem is also different. That’s why we believe in providing options for you to choose from when exploring your dental care—even Cosmetic Care. Call us today to learn more!